12.03.2005

Alien stream of consciousness

I wonder how many times a day someone googles "proof of aliens" or "proof that aliens exist" or some similar phrase. If they want proof, they should attend a bridal shower.

Bridal showers don't make sense. You already get the couple a wedding gift (fair enough, weddings tend to be big events/milestones/celebrations/reasons to give gifts), you may even get them an engagement gift (ok, so there's nothing wrong with rewarding people for agreeing to a commitment that statistically is 50% likely to fail), but a bridal shower gift? How many gifts can you get someone for one event? Does the bride really need to be showered with gifts yet again? And how much more can people be joyful for two people they don't even really know? Stupid Hallmark. Yes that's right, I blame Hallmark.

I think I'd be a lot less mad at Hallmark if they created cards for events that are more essential for the fundamental underpinnings of a democratic society, rather than silly unnecessary events like bridal showers.

Imagine if Hallmark made an election line of cards like "happy voting day" or "happy election campaign season" cards, or "at least you get to vote" cards, or "my condolences for the choice of candidates you have this year" cards. I could definitely use a few of those, poor Calgary-West.

I guess the problem with this round of federal elections is that we still have to vote for one of the current parties. Would it be wrong to vote on some arbitrary aspect of the candidates, like shoe size or hair colour or something? At least that way I won't have any expectations for the resulting parliament.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

...Since when have you been concerned about the fundamental underpinnings of our democratic society?

Sharon said...

Who is talking about my beliefs? I just think that Hallmark should have better morals than me. You know, corporate responsibility and all that jazz.

Nicholas said...

I've always been disappointed with the absence of Bastille Day cards.

Anonymous said...

Who's getting married?

Haven't checked my riding's candidates, but I think you'd need to send me a condolences card in advance, given that I can't expect anything but a Conservative sweep. Bleh.

Sharon said...

Tinna, it's my cousin getting married. And I can make you a "Sharon's Crappy Card" Election Consolation card.

Erin said...

You can get "happy election day" cards in the states. It should say "learn how to vote" or "sorry you were born without a brain" inside but for some reason its just a picture of the white house. Americans....