3.10.2006

Can't you just envision a bunch of seals in a night club?

I've heard there has been a big kafuffle about stopping seal clubbing in Canada. There have even been celebrities (namely Paul McCartney and Heather Mills) coming to Canada to raise awareness of the cause.

[I'm not quite sure if their cause is to let people know that Canadian geography is difficult (PEI, "New Finlend" and Labrador -- same thing, right?), to prove that seals are vicious, biting little buggers, or that less than 10% of seals that are killed are clubbed (the rest are shot).]

So I decided to look into the issue. In all fairness I managed to avoid most of the media hullabaloo, so my investigation was rather shallow.* Instead, I did conducted a brief, informal poll.**

It seems that almost all of those surveyed would consider seal-helmets a disincentive to club seals.

So if Paul McCartney and Heather Mills really cared (or if people do not want seals to be clubbed), they ought to be proactive and make them cute little seal helmets. [I would suggest cute blue ones, like the ones the UN uses.] Alternately, if seals do not like being clubbed, they should do something about it themselves; survival of the fittest and all.***

*It may or may not have encompassed recalling Tinna telling me that some people in Britain associate Canadians with seal clubbing.
**It may or may not have had a sample size of 5.
***No seals were harmed in the making of this post, despite my lack of photoshopping skills. As well, there is a ban against killing the cute white-fur baby seals, so only the less cute adult harp seals are killed (occasionally by clubbing).

No comments: