4.04.2006

While you were in class

This weekend, I was at the US BP Debate Championships near LA. It was an amazing trip.

Erin and I got in late Thursday night, had free wine and went to sleep. The alarm went off at 6:15 Friday morning, and I was intending to press snooze, but Erin was sitting awake in her bed drinking coffee in the dark. The second I woke up she nearly jumped out of bed: "I woke up at 5 am because I just couldn't sleep I was too excited, so I showered and I made coffee and DISNEYLAND!!!!!!!!!!" Clearly, I wasn't given 5 more minutes, but it was worth it.

We spent nearly 17 hours in Disneyland, and it was amazing. The rides, the fireworks, the fact that a mom actually told her kid "crying isn't allowed in Disneyland."

Jones met up with us part way through the day and we quickly discovered that he doesn't like roller coasters. And then as the rides were about to close, we went on Splash Mountain and Jones got soaked (served him right since Erin and I had gotten drenched on the Grizzly Bear Run the 4 times we went on it, while Jones didn't), then we had ice cream.

The debate tournament itself was tons of fun. Most of the topics (and the debates) were interesting, Ashish and I did really well, and now I am the owner of a tacky trophy that reads "US Universities Debate Championships 2006." As well, some of the most memorable debate rounds ever, but not necessarily for the right reason.

Even thought the hotel (and I use the term loosely) we were staying at wasn't all that nice, we had room parties both Saturday and Sunday night. The evenings were fantastic and included a human pyramid, a rock-paper-scissor competition, and dancing karaoke.

Then on Monday, Erin and I got to drive around LA a bit until our flight. It felt nice to be lunching on Sunset strip, driving down Rodeo Drive, using valet parking for the first time ever, visiting the 3 story Tiffany's & Co., seeing the Avenue of the Stars, and coming to appreciate LA drivers instead of being in LRW.

Pictures and the page of quotes to come shortly.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Sharon whenever I need a laugh I just look at the pictures from our trip or read the story of me waking up at 5am and I can't stop laughing.
Thanks for making my day and for be a fantastic travel buddy!
~Erin