6.10.2006

T&T They're DYNAMITE!

Ever since 1994, when my cousins got me hooked because of their infectious Brazilian fever, I've been following the Fifa World Cup. In fact, 4 years ago, a soccer injury enabled me to adjust my sleep schedule to watch even more of the World Cup as a means of recovering from the surgery.

So far this year has been fantastic, producing its first exciting 0-0 result. By 10 minutes into their game I was already a huge supporter of the Soca Warriors. This team, from a country of 1.1 million, is one of six debutants to this year's ball game and they have already exceeded my expectations. This team bikes to their games, the other team had possession of the ball 60% of the time, and their starting goalie was injured pre-game; yet their back-up goalie, Shaka, shone. (I hope this bodes well for back-up goalies playing sports today, GO OILERS!) Even though the Warriors spent half of the game down one man because of a red card, they didn't quit. Group B is about to get very interesting.

I don't know how some of those Swedish shots didn't go in. I don't think I've ever seen a team so happy about a game where they didn't even score. And I don't think I've ever enjoyed a line of commentary as much as this one: "The hopes of Trinidad and Tobago have been written off more times than the Mexican national debt."

Now on to cheering for the two teams in the "house of death" that both wear orange (or Oranje, I suppose). Other than when they play each other.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm told that I support England in the World Cup, even if only passively. This is too bad because I think my favourite team is Ghana (another newcomer). Talk about spunky! Italy sat on them and then they rallied to bewilder the Czechs yesterday.

But, you know, Wayne Rooney is adorable even if Ericksson never lets him step on the pitch. For that I can love England.