6.10.2005

As pesky as their mosquitoes

Once a year I stumble across a pair of free football tickets.

Free tickets are the best way to learn that one is out of shape on the trek to the top row - number 84 for those that have not had the pleasure of seeing a game from a vantage point where the players are almost as big as on TV. But rather than looking this gift horse in the mouth, I go to the games and enjoy myself. It's always a fun time, I get to hang out with a friend, and it is cheaper than going out for tea.

As well, up until today, I had never gone to a game where the Eskimos did not win. Based on the way they were playing in the first quarter, I felt assured that this record would be upheld; the Esks were dominating the game, making nice plays, and building up a nice lead. Then they started to fall apart. I think that the refs threw more flags on the field than the Esks threw completions. Since when should the Esks feel lucky to tie against Winnipeg?

At least they didn't lose.

The other fascinating feature of professional sports is that it is reassuring to see a regularly apathetic group of people unite in support of something (or against Calgary, as the case may be). Despite the rain and the lack of an enchanting rival, over half the stadium was filled.

However, North Americans cannot seem to get as excited as Europeans about sport. It seems that at 10 minutes before the end of the game, people just started to leave. For the entire fourth quarter, the score was either tied or within a field goal. I can understand leaving to catch the train when there is a 2-touchdown difference, but a tied game? Who cares if you have to walk slower to the LRT, it's a fricken' tied game. Maybe it's because alcohol sales were finished, maybe our attention spans really are shorter than it used to be, or maybe the stadium was filled with reverse vampires that needed to be home by dark. Either way, Dawn and I were disappointed.

Now I can't wait until we get some hockey back, so I don't have to resort to football talk.