6.18.2005

"Can I lick your fingers? Meet me at the mail slot."

I love the Simpsons, it's like a modern day Shakespeare.

The Simpsons, like Shakespeare, appeals to audiences on two levels: slapstick base humour coupled with sophisticated quips and intelligent allusions. As such, both have wide appeal that transcends class, gender, or age.

As well, both Shakespeare and the Simpsons have created their own words. Some of my favourites include Shakespeare's "sluggardly" (bonus points for anyone who can name the play), and the Simpsons' "d'oh" or "ovulitious" (more bonus points for knowing the episode).

Furthermore, both have many memorable quotes, the sort that are cited often and suit many situations. Be it "the lady doth protest too much," or "the black ram is tupping your white ewe" versus "me fail English? that's unpossible" or "what's wrong Marge? You're not in any kind of physical pain - the only sort of pain a man understands."

I guess a show of the Simpsons has three acts, whereas Shakespeare preferred five. I think that the difference has to do with today's shorter attention spans.

Either way, both the Simpsons and Shakespeare are requisites to make any claim of cultural literacy.

No comments: